Blog Archive

Friday, May 29, 2009

London Revisited (2009)


I never did finish blogging the London trip of last year. We were so busy those days and then when we got home I just couldn't quite hold on to everything. Strangely enough, we are back here this year - passing through on our way to Italy where we'll be staying with Mike's mom in Ferrara and traveling to other places in that country. We're here in London for just three nights and tonight is the first. This time we get to have Joe with us and that makes it extra special.

We flew from Phoenix this year so we could have a straight-through flight to London. The flight left on time, was uneventful, but *extremely* uncomfortable. I've never been so uncomfortable on a flight before. Does anyone think it might have something to do with being in the middle seat between long-legged men? 

Getting out of the airport and to Victoria Station on the tube took about two hours, I'd say. Finding our way from there was easy peasy because I'd printed the "walking" directions to our hotel. Once checked in, we all three collapsed momentarily (sharing a big bottle of water) and then deliberately roused ourselves to fight against the jet lag. Joe wanted to see Buckingham Palace, so we walked there and then through St. James park to the Horse Guards (who were sadly not in evidence). St. James Park was a favorite from last time and I could easily spend the day there with a good book. It's huge, beautiful, and there are all sorts of people to look at, as well as lots of different kinds of duck, geese, moorhens, pelicans, and black swans. We saw one woman feeding pigeons out of her hand, a lost seagull swimming on the water, and a squirrel eating a banana peel. Honestly, don't ever leave London without walking through this park!

We had a friendly debate as we walked along about whether the London Eye (big Ferris Wheel on the other side of the Thames) was actually moving. You can see it from the park. We finally decided (having gotten a bit closer by passing by Downing Street) that it was moving veeeeerrryyy slowly. I think you'd have great views from there but I couldn't convince Mike to do it last time. With Joe on board...maybe so?

By the time we were trekking back to "our neighborhood", I was a zombie. I had a flu bug or something before I left and didn't eat much on the plane either (lots of it was dairy and I didn't want to risk it). I just concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other; and Mike and Joe were kind enough to walk at my pace and/or wait up for me if they got too far ahead. We were looking for a pub (on Joe's wish-list) and saw that people throng the sidewalks of pubs here, holding their pints, presumably meeting up after work. We finally braved one when we got closer to our hotel - and it was *terrible*, well, except for the beer. We all got fish-n-chips and it came so fast I wouldn't be surprised if it was their version of "Mrs. Pauls". Ick. I ate about half - and avoided the stupid peas they insist on bringing it with it (I gather it's not real fish-n-chips without the peas). My head was in my plate half the time, I was that tired. Still, I think Joe was pleased to have gotten a Guinness and not be asked for ID (drinking age is younger here). We then slogged back to the hotel and have now collapsed with various injunctions to each other to *not* fall asleep. Mike has succumbed judging  by the twitching of his arm behind my back. Joey has a second wind and is reading, and I'm about to sign off. Be seeing you in dreamland. More tomorrow!

3 comments:

Adam Ussishkin said...

Sounds fantastic so far! I am so impressed that you all could land and get right out there to see the town. It's so much fun reading about your trip!

Patep said...

yay!! glad y'all made it ok, even if it was uncomfortable!! & yes, it was the middle seat syndrome. demand the aisle next time!!!

have a Guinness for me!! ok, that's really for Pierre. um.. have an awesome cider or something for me!!

Mike said...

It's the next day and the bad news is DKO has still her stomach bug. She's planning on staying in the room today. I suppose the good news is that at least this is happening in London where we just were, as opposed to Italy, where she's never been. Hopefully she'll feel better over the day or by tomorrow.
:(