Blog Archive

Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Day at the Inn


After last night's post, I got to feeling really sick. Just like I had been the day before we flew here. I won't give you the details but it was not pretty and lasted all night & into the morning. Needless to say, I was in no shape to go anywhere.  I managed to shower and get vertical by 9ish, at which point Mike and Joe set off for a long walk around the city (after having their breakfast here at the inn, which I did not venture forth for. Joe came back saying "bad sausage, watery scrambled eggs and 7 pieces of toast"). 

I was really sorry to see them go and to miss out on time spent with the two men in my life. Still, Mike took pictures to fill me in, and I know it was probably really nice for them to extend their long legs to the fullest for awhile instead of shortening their stride for me. They said they walked from where we are in Belgravia to the British Museum via Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden, & the Embankment.  While they were out and about I basically tried to get my stomach under control by staying near the bathroom and only drinking water or sprite (which my two heroes had gotten for me before leaving on their walk).  Our room has two nice, big windows overlooking the street so I was able to see people come and go along the road. There's a little coffee shop on the corner across the street and that made for good people/dog-watching (cocker spaniels sure are cute - and loud!). 

Eventually I found Whose Line Is It Anyway episodes on TV and Star Trek, too. As you can see, my day was *pre-tty* uneventful. The true highlight was when Joe and Mike came back (around 2ish) to spend the rest of the afternoon with me. They had walked and walked and were really tired, and so came back to check on me. We got hooked on a two-part Star Trek episode after which time I felt like a brief stroll would be nice. The weather is so fine here and the sunlight had been beckoning me all day. We took a short walk around the corner to the news agent/convenience store, where I bought some plain crackery things. I figure if I avoid food for the most part, I'll do better. The trick will be how to keep the energy up and the temptation down. I thought about accompanying Mike and Joe to dinner (Joe wanted Indian food) but I wouldn't have eaten anything anyway and who knows whether the smell of food would have made my nausea return or tempted me with forbidden fruit. Either way, best not to find out!

The thoughts for the day are: it's no fun being sick, it's even worse being sick abroad, but London is still great even when viewed through a window.

2 comments:

Patep said...

poor Diane!!! will try to do a little distance stuff on you... get better!!!
[hugz]

Adam Ussishkin said...

I am so sorry! Believe me I know how you feel (after our little adventure being sick in Malta). I hope you are totally well soon and can get out and enjoy what London has to offer. And isn't Italy right around the corner?