Blog Archive

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bam from a different direction

Treatment is indeed over and dko is getting fuzzier every day...which is a really good thing.

She's coming into the office every once in a while and this is strangely reassuring to me. I think it's something about seeing her in a "normal" setting.

The bad news is that I got a call from my mom the other night saying she's got something tumorlike near her pancreas. Pancreatic cancer is really bad I hear, but she seems pretty sure that's not it....which is a really good thing too.

DKO apparently heard about this a week ago but my mom swore her to secrecy. Is it a nice thing that my wife and my mom can bond about such a thing?

Damn. So we're trying not to worry, waiting for tests and biopsies and such to tell us more.

6 comments:

Adam Ussishkin said...

I'm sure it must be so hard to wait for the results. I am so sorry to hear about your mother, Mike! I hope it's NOT pancreatic cancer.

AmyFou said...

Everyone at the Ivens-Fountain Dog Sanctuary is also keeping our fingers/toes crossed that it turns out NOT to be the worst news for your mom, MH. We're thinking of you and DKO and your mom and sending lots of warm vibes!

Cookie said...

well i don't think either prayers or booze will help - the total reality here is - This news sucks and the older we get there are fewer people who say "it'll be all right" and even fewer we would believe if they did say it. But in light of my rare negativity (heightened by Penn States 9th in a row loss to Michigan!)pay no attention to the woman behind the screen - click your ruby red slippers and whisper "there's no place like home"

Natasha said...

Oh, boy. I really, really hope that "tumor-like" turns out to mean "harmless cyst" or something, and that "near the pancreas" turns out to mean "in a harmless part of the body not really attached to the pancreas" or some such. Good luck, and keep us informed. On the other topic, Diane, could you post a picture of you with your newly developing hair, someday when you feel like it? I don't want to pressure you, though. I really hope your mother turns out to be fine, Mike, and Diane, I hope you're starting to feel better.

Eve said...

Diane and mom made all sorts of plans on the sale of mom's house, giving Eve all of the books and you were getting her wine collection complete with her 2 buck chuck...
None of us will ever die Michael as our memories will last...too damn long.
Big Sis

Jennifer Columbus said...

Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I wish so, so much that you didn't have to go through this.